Student Residence Permit in Turkey

The “General Conditions Regarding Foreign Student Admissions”, that have been accepted by the Council of Higher Education, consist the main framework for the procedures and principles regarding the admissions of foreign students (and those students who have completed their secondary education abroad) to the Turkish higher education institutions.


As per article 2 (b) of “General Conditions Regarding Foreign Student Admissions”, Foreign students’ admissions to the Turkish universities are subjected to quotas announced by the Student Selection and Placement Center (OSYM). For undergraduate studies, the quota for foreign students cannot exceed 35% of the quota for undergraduate students in the previous academic year. For Private Non-profit Foundation (Vakıf) Universities, foreign student quota cannot exceed 50% of the quota for undergraduate students in the previous academic year.


Minimum and maximum amounts of tuition fees for the programs in the State Universities are determined by the Council of Ministers (Article 5). However on the basis of reciprocity, foreign students might be exempted from tuition fees. Tuition fees for the programs in the Private Non-profit Foundation Universities are determined by authorized boards or higher institutions (Article 6). For detailed information, candidates may consult the websites of the universities.


The following candidates, if they are expected to graduate or already graduated from high school, may apply to Turkish universities.

1) Foreign nationals,

2) Foreigners who are Turkish citizens by birth but later renounced Turkish citizenship by the renunciation permit of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and their minor children registered in the renunciation document.

3) Individuals who acquired Turkish citizenship after birth. (And those who have dual nationalities by acquiring Turkish citizenship after birth)

4) Turkish citizens who have completed the last three years of secondary education abroad except for Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. (Also those having completed their whole secondary education in Turkish schools abroad in a foreign country other than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is also included.)

5) Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus citizens who live in TRNC and have completed their secondary education in TRNC and those TRNC citizens who have studied in colleges and high schools in other countries between 2005-2010, on the condition that they obtain GCE AL Examination results.

On the other hand, except from the cases described above, the following categories of individuals are not eligible to apply to the Turkish universities as international students; (i) Turkish citizens who have completed their whole high school education in Turkey or TRNC, (ii) Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus citizens, (iii) Those dual citizens who have Turkish citizenship by birth, (iv) Dual citizens, one of whose citizenship is of TRNC, (v) Turkish nationals who are studying at foreign high schools in Turkey or in schools that are part of embassies in Turkey.


Each higher education institution is required to issue directives or regulations to describe admission requirements for international students by including recognized national and international exams and/or their own entrance examinations, minimum exam scores and grade point of average requirements.

Some common international and national exams are the following : Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT I), American College Testing (ACT), General Certificate of Education (GCE) A Level, International Baccalaureate (IB), Abitur, French Baccalaureate, Matura, Tawjihi Examination held in Jordan and Palestine,Baccalaureate Examination held in Lebanon, Al-Shahada-AlThanawiyya (Baccalaureate) Examination held in Syria,Gaokao held in the People’s Republic of China, and the Senegalese Baccalaureate. Please note that each university determines individually its recognized examinations and scores. For detailed information, candidates may consult the websites of the universities.

Moreover foreign students might be asked to provide appropriate documents indicating they have enough funds for living in Turkey during their studies.

All documents required for registration to higher education institutions are determined and announced by the institutions individually. However the most common documents required for registration are as below;

1) Original Exam Results

2) Original high school diploma and transcript and their notarized translations.

3) Equivalence Letter which can obtained from the National Education Directorates in cities in Turkey.

4) Original passport and photocopies of the page bearing the applicant’s identification, and the page bearing student visa obtained from the Turkish consulate.

5) Bank Receipt of the Tuition Fee

6) If applicable, English language proficiency and/ or Turkish language proficiency certificates

Please note that some higher education institutions might ask additional documents.


Foreign students are required to obtain ‘student visa’ from nearest Turkish Consulates prior to their travel to Turkey. Without valid ‘student visa’, Foreigner students may not enroll to the educational institutions in Turkey.

Common documents are;

  • Visa application form
  • Minimum 1 year valid passport
  • An acceptance letter from the Turkish University or school or language course certified by the Ministry of Education
  • Bank statement or sponsor letter, sponsor’s bank statements and passport copy of sponsor.
  • Non-refundable visa fee

Please note that consulates may demand additional documents during the visa application process.


Those who will apply for the first time for a residence permit as foreign students should have a student visa obtained from the Turkish consulate in their home countries. After their arrival they need to apply for residence permit within one month.

    • Residence Permit Application Form obtained from e-residence portal (also tax number obtained from tax office)
    • 4 passport-size photos
    • Original passport and photocopies of the following pages of the passport: the page bearing the applicant’s photo, the page stamped at the last entry, the page indicating the validity and expiry dates of the passport and the page bearing student visa obtained from the Turkish consulate.
    • Valid and updated student enrollment certificate obtained from Turkish schools or universities.
    • A bank statement guarantying subsistence, or a letter of undertaking from parents, or if available scholarship documents.
    • For the foreign undergraduate students, “Foreign Students Information Forms” are needed  (may be obtained from local police department’s foreigners’ branch)
    • For those foreign students below 18 years old, deed of consent from parents is required. Deed of consent should be notarized Turkish translation with Apostil.
    • Valid Health Insurance ( one of following health insurances is enough)

*The document that enables benefit from the health services in Turkey within the scope of bilateral social security agreements
*The certificate of authorization received from Social Security Institution
*Proof of application made for general health insurance to Social Security Institution
*Private Health Insurance compatible with Circular Notice no.9 dated 06.06.2014.

Residence permit extension applications should be filled in before the expiry date of the current residence permit.


According to article 1, paragraph 2 of the Law No. 6486 on Amending Social Security and General Health Insurance Law and Certain Other Laws, General Health Insurance is not mandatory for foreign students enrolled in Education Institutions in Turkey. All foreign students who are enrolled in the Education Institutions of Turkey might voluntarily register to the GHI, if they fill out an application within three months after their enrollment to the Education Institutions. On the other hand foreign students who have previously enrolled to Education Institutions, by the time that the law no: 6486 is published (Law No. 6486 on Amending Social Security and General Health Insurance Law and Certain Other Laws has been published in Official Gazette on 29 May 2013, No: 28661), they may apply to GHI within six months after the publication date.

Moreover those foreign students who are entitled to social security in their home countries and come from a country where Turkey has a multi-lateral or bilateral social security agreement, upon their submission of following appropriate forms to the Turkish Social Security Institution, they may benefit from health care services in Turkey.

Countries that have signed agreement with Turkey within the scope of Short Term Insurance Branches.

Foreigners who stay for tourism purposes or temporary work purposes

Foreigners sent to continue medical treatment

For permanent residence cases

Family Members of Insurance holder

Foreigners who get monthly salaries in the home countries

Germany T/A 11 T/A 12 T/A 9 T/A 20, T/A23
Austria A/TR 3, A/TR 4 A/TR 4 A/TR 4
The Netherlands N/TUR 111 N/TUR 112 N/TUR 109 N/TUR 121
Belgium B.T.8, BT 15 B.T.10 B.T.6 B.T.16
France SE 208-04 A FT SE 208-06 FT SE 208-07 FT SE 208-09 FT
Turkish republic of Northern Cyprus K.K.T.C. / T.C. 3 K.K.T.C. / T.C. 5 K.K.T.C. / T.C. 6 K.K.T.C. / T.C. 7
F.Y.R.O.Macedonia MC/TR 4 MC/TR 5 MC/TR 6
Romania R/TR 3 R/TR 3 R/TR 6 R/TR4
Albania AL/TR 4 AL/TR 10 TR/AL 5 AL/TR 6
Bosnia and Herzegovina BH/TR4 BH/TR5 BH/TR 6 BH/TR 7
Czech Republic CZ/TR 111 CZ/TR 112
Luxembourg L/TR 3 L/TR 3 L/TR 4 L/TR 5,
Azerbaijan AZ/TR 4 AZ/TR 8 AZ/TR 5 AZ/TR 6


Article 41 of the Law no: 6458 on Foreigners and International Protection grants foreign students with right to work in Turkey. Accordingly;

“Students pursuing basic education, undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate degrees in Turkey may work provided that they obtain a work permit. However, basic education and undergraduate students shall only be given the right to work no more than 30 hours a week following the first year of studies.”

Assign Corporate Consultancy
Based on 523 reviews
powered by Google
Jeanne Brochard
Jeanne Brochard
12:44 27 Apr 21
I highly recommend them! I got my residence permit done in less than a month.Marta is nice and patient and guides you... through all the processes. She even got me a driver to get me from the immigration office to the tax office back and forth. It was all done in 3h (you have to wait in line tho, there is no other way). If you don't want to waste time trying to deal with your residence permit, it definitely worth using their service!read more
A ibn Z
A ibn Z
07:13 26 Apr 21
Hello there, very informative site.I have a question: My son will be 18 years next year, if I buy a property and get... the citizenship , can he study Medicine in Turkey free of charge as a Turkish citizen. If I am divorced do I need my ex wife's consent to get for all of my children Turkish citizenship? I am Australian.Also can you help with enrolment to an English Medium University? I heard he must learn Turkish to be able to study in more
moo Et
moo Et
07:38 06 Jan 21
Hello. Thank you for help and support and answering our questions. it is the second time that I ask a question because... I forgot the previous time. If someone want to apply for Short Term Resident Permit but the expiry date of Passport does not allow for one year, then is it possible to apply for shorter period like ten months and 120 days outside of Turkey rule still exist or not? Thank you againread more
Moh Eti
Moh Eti
06:38 06 Jan 21
Thank you very much for answering my first question. I forgot to ask the other question that I had. If my mother... passport does not allow her to apply for short term resident permit for a year because of expiry date of her passport can she apply for ten months instead of one year? I also heard that 120 days outside of country rule is not apply more
Cobb Cobb
Cobb Cobb
07:20 27 Nov 20
Hi i have finally received my residence card yesterday.5 months from start to finish 🤔The problem l have now is my... surname on my card is spelt incorrect.How can l get this fixed? Will it cost me more money if so how much? Will l need to give them a new photo?I went to open a bank account and was told that my address isnot linked to my card. Why is that?How do l get my address linked to the card?Am l able to still do this while l sort out the surname mistake?I am from Australia would l be able to extend my 12 months visa if l am still here?If not, what would l need to do so l was able to extend?Your help is much appreciatedread more
Anum Omair
Anum Omair
11:53 13 Nov 20
Hello, We are planing to apply for residence permit in turkey by investing in property, I have a question that my... husband will be the principal applicant (owner of property ) stays in abroad for 6 months in an year as he is a business person and he has to look after his business but on the other hand we (wife and 2kids) will stay in turkey and follow the protocol to get citizenship in 5 years period.1. will my husband be able to apply for citizenship of all 4 of us as the main applicant? if not?2. will I and my kids will be eligible to get citizenship, if we are eligible, will I be able to apply for his citizenship based on my citizenship status?Or what do you suggest that we should done as the aim is to get the citizenship in 5 years period for the entire family.An expert opinion will be highly appreciatedThanksread more
Khurum Khan
Khurum Khan
13:27 09 Nov 20
I gained lots of knowledge with help of this web site it is very informative.I have some questions plz answer .1 -... What is the minimum house price to buy in order to get a residency permit?2 - we are a family of three me 46 year old my son aged 22 and daughter aged 19 . can we by one house or 3 houses to get property residency permit for all of us ?3 - How many month a person to stay in turkey per year for qualify a Turkish passport because my both adult children are studying medicine in Georgia .4 - How many years will the three of us have to wait to get citizenship?read more
Emad Babaei
Emad Babaei
12:18 23 Oct 20
HelloIm from Iran ( I have Iranian Passport ) but I live in Budapest. I would like to study in Turkey. Do I have to... get a student visa from Turkish embassy before going to Turkey or can I just go to Turkey and register at my course and then apply for Student residence permit ?May I also ask how long does it take to get an appointment at the immigration office and then how long does it take to receive the Student residence permit ?Thank you very much for your helpBest regardsread more
Tommy Ade
Tommy Ade
00:06 14 Oct 20
Hello,I am a Nigerian citizen, and I would like to apply for the tourist residence permit. I read that in Antalya the... residence permit is provided in a month or less sometimes.1. Is it possible to apply for the residence permit in Antalya and then move to Istanbul after receiving the residence permit?2. In that case, will my application be accepted if I have a rental contract for just 1 month as I plan on moving to Istanbul and rent another apartment there?3. During the time my application will be processing, can I open a bank account, deposit money in it, and make transactions?I would appreciate if you could shed some light on these matters.Warm regards,read more
Next Reviews
4.7 2579 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
113 Yorum
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
3 years ago

I hv a student resident permit. Can i invite my spouse to come for holiday in turkey

Reply to  sandra
3 years ago

Dear Mrs. Sandra

Thank you for your comment.

Unfortunately, this is not possible.

Kind Regards

1 4 5 6
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x